The Official Website of the State of Arkansas
Hi, welcome to!

State Board of Barber Examiners

The Board was created by an act of legislation in 1937 to protect the health, welfare and safety of the public by regulating the practice of Barbering by developing and maintaining a curriculum of study; scheduling and conducting examinations; registering and licensing applicants; regulating the sanitation of barbers, barber schools and establishments; adopting rules and enforcing the Laws and Rules set forth by the Board by imposing fines for violations of the statutes and rules of the Board.

Key Service

Barber Board Website
Department of Labor and Licensing
Department of Labor and Licensing - State Board of Barber Examiners
Department of Labor and Licensing - State Board of Barber Examiners
State Board of Barber Examiners
["Barber Board Website"]

Frequently Asked Questions

What about license renewal?
Can I pay the inspector for my license renewal? The answer is absolutely not. You may pay on line at or you may send in with your renewal section of your old license to 501 Woodlane, Suite 311C, Little Rock, AR 72201. I need to renew my license; how can I do that? If you had a current license last year, you can renew your license on line at or mail your renewal application and the correct fee to our office. You may also visit our office during normal business hours. If you pay in cash, you must bring the exact change.
What about when I need to renew?
When does my license expire and when can I renew? You may renew your license yearly between July 1 and September 1. There is a $25.00 penalty for renewal after September 1. The law requires you to renew your license yearly. If you do not renew within three (3) years, you will have to take the practical exam for licensure.
Where do I main my renewal, or can I come by?
We are located across from the State Capitol in the 501 Building and our mailing address is as follows: State Board of Barber Examiners 501 Woodlane, Suite 311 C Little Rock, AR 72201
What about military spouses of barbers?
We are a military family currently living outside Arkansas and my spouse has an Arkansas barber license that is about to expire. What do we do? Spouses of military members on active duty do not have to renew their licenses while they are outside the state. The license will be renewed for $75 after you return to Arkansas. For military personnel who move to Arkansas, we will expedite your spouse’s out-of-state barber license provided it is current.
Can I work on an expired license?
My license has expired. How long do I have to renew my license? You may renew your license up to three (3) years after it expires by paying $75.00 for each year of delinquency. After that you will have to take the practical exam. Remember, you may not work with an expired license. If you work with an expired license, you will receive a citation by the Barber Board.
How long does it take to get my license by mail?
I renewed my license online weeks ago, but have not received it yet. What should I do? If you do not receive your license within 10 to 14 days, please contact us at or call 501-682-4035. If paying on line, please make any corrections of your mailing address. Do not list e-mail as your mailing address.
Who can work in my barber shop?
Can a barber student or someone with a license from another state work in my barber shop? No. Anyone working in a barber shop must be licensed by the State of Arkansas by their respective professional board. A student, either current or a graduate who has not taken board, may NOT work in your shop.
Does my license transfer?
How do I transfer my out-of-state license to Arkansas (reciprocity)? Your license will not transfer. It is only good in the state it was issued in. Please see the requirements listed at and contact us for an application at or download the form and print. I'm moving How do I get my license transferred out of state.? Please contact the state that you are moving to for that state’s requirements. Additionally, you will need to complete a Certification of Record form to be mailed to the state board where you are moving, which can be obtained by contacting our office. The fee is $50.00.
I lost my license, how do I obtain another one?
You can obtain a duplicate license by mailing a check or money order for $5 to our office along with a copy of your Driver’s License and a letter stating your license has been lost or destroyed.
How about opening a barbershop?
I want to open up a new barber shop; what do I need to do? Our shop application can be obtained by contacting us at Although anyone may own a barbershop, a currently licensed barber must work there and he will be your shop manager unless you are a barber.

Got a Question?

Not quite finding the information you are looking for here?

Get Help